Divorce is a messy situation and it is always best to have professional guidance to help you get through it. If you’re currently facing a divorce from your spouse and the two of you have children, you will need to hire an Atlanta Family Lawyer to protect your rights as well as the rights of your children. While there are plenty of attorneys in your city, it’s important to find the right family lawyer. Here are five tips to help you choose a child custody attorney who has the right knowledge and experience to help you get through the divorce process as painlessly as possible.
1. When you start your search for a child support lawyer in your area, you will want to compare what kind of education and experience they have. Make a list of for each attorney you find so that you can compare apples to apples. Once you have narrowed down the most experienced and knowledgeable attorneys in your city, find out how many child custody cases they have taken on, and how many of these were won versus lost. You will also want to find out the reason these cases were lost, as there may be extenuating circumstances that played a role. Attorneys are not able to discuss specific details about their clients and cases, but they should be able to provide you with general information and numbers.
2. Although there will be plenty of options in terms of which attorney you should hire, try narrowing it down to a list of top three. Once you have three choices you can focus your time on interviewing them to see if they meet your needs. Most child custody attorneys provide a free consultation so you can get to know them a bit better and the services they provide. If they do offer a charge for the initial consultation, don’t let this deter you. You will want to hire the most qualified attorney when it comes to a case involving the custody of your children.
3. Before going to your consultation, make a list of potential questions you will want to ask each attorney during the interview. Your lawyer will not be able to provide specific legal advice without a retainer fee, but you can get an idea of how they feel about your case and the kind of results they expect to get in court.
4. Always be upfront and honest about everything related to your life, divorce and children when discussing the specifics of your case with your lawyer. Your attorney needs to be properly informed in order to give you a true evaluation of what kind of things you can expect in court. They need to aware of any drugs or alcohol related issues, or any other factors that may be presented in a court of law.
5. If you’re able to, the best way to find a professional and reputable child custody lawyer is to get a referral from someone you know. They will be able to tell you the pros and cons of the services they received from the lawyer so you’ll know first-hand what you’re getting yourself into. Hopefully there is someone who can point you in the right direction to finding an attorney you feel comfortable with and is able to properly represent you in court.
Finding the right child custody attorney is very important. If you keep these helpful tips in mind, you should be able to find someone who represents you and your children well in court.
If you are dealing with a child custody case and need a professional Atlanta Family Lawyer, contact S. Dixon Law Offices or visit http://sdixonlaw.com.